Upcoming Encore Programs
Wednesday, March 24, 10-11:30am
With Nancy Clancy
Suggested donation: $10
Registration Required April 22
This past year has been hard on many people in many ways. Our feelings of security and loneliness have been blown about in a storm. In John 11, Martha and Mary had some of the same feelings as they were mourning the loss and the death of their brother. When Jesus arrives, he finds Lazarus has been in the tomb for four days. He says, “Lazarus, come out.” How might Jesus’ words speak to our hearts and our spirits? Join us to reflect, pray, and share your wisdom.
Nancy Clancy is married to Rick and the parent of two adult children. Her background is in education, culminating in a master’s degree in theology and post degree work in spirituality. She is currently retired from full time ministry after more than 30 years ministering in a variety of catechetical positions in parishes in the archdiocese of Detroit. Her final professional years were spent at Christ the Redeemer Catholic Community in Lake Orion, Michigan where she continues to worship and serve.
Presented by Sr. Mary Kay Oosdyke, OP
$10 donation suggested
(RSVP by April 26) Zoom Presentation
The Ascension of Jesus—What does this feast mean for our faith and daily life? The Ascension account by Luke seems more like just tying things together after the Resurrection instead of a call to new vision and action. Yet, the Church gives that event the status of a major Feast. Even artists often have trouble portraying the meaning of the feast in their stained-glass windows and paintings. Together we will discover the rich message and deeper meaning of this mysterious feast and what revelation God intends for us today through its celebration.
Sr. Mary Kay Oosdyke, OP is a Dominican Sister of Grand Rapids currently involved in Adult Faith Education and Spiritual Formation after years of teaching theology and ministry in colleges and seminaries. She also served as Director of Dominican Associates’ Formation for her congregation.
The Encore Institute is designed for those over the age of 55 and programs focus on spirituality and vitality as we age. This programs are held monthly, from 10-11:30am. The suggested donation for each session is $10. Adults of all ages may attend these classes.
Past Encore Classes Included:
- Finding Joy and Meaning in the Second Half of Life, with Fr. Joachim Lally, CSP
- The Lord Is My Shepherd: Psalms to Accompany Us on Our Journey Through Aging , with Rabbi Albert Lewis
- Holy Spirits!, with Fr. Michael Hennessy, CSP
- Sharing Faith Lessons with Children’s Books, with Glenys Nellist
- Music, Memory and Alzheimer’s Disease, with Emily Smith
- Heaven and the Afterlife, with Sr. Mary Kay Oosdyke, OP
- The Road to What’s Next, with John and Barbara Ziemann
- Adventures in Volunteering, with Angie Drier of RSVP and Kay Fricano of Kids Food Basket
- Church Architecture in Grand Rapids Tour, with Fr. Bob Cary, CSP