Upcoming Encore Programs
Thursday, October 14, 10-11:30 a.m.
Presented by Sr. Mary Kay Oosdyke, OP
$15 donation suggested (lunch provided)
In-Person (limited space) and online (Zoom) event
Questions abound about “the holy ones”– those who came before us and those who live among us now. Questions such as: What is holiness and what role do saints play in Christian Faith and discipleship today? How is it that a person can be seen by members of the Church as dangerous to the faith and yet later be declared a saint of the Church? Culturally, we might be asking, is the age of saints over, or is it growing in ways we don’t recognize? This presentation and conversation will consider both recognized and unrecognized “saints” and the Second Vatican Council’s “universal call to holiness.”
Sister Mary Kay Oosdyke, OP is a Dominican Sister of Grand Rapids currently involved in adult faith education and spiritual formation, after years of teaching theology and ministry in colleges and seminaries. She is certified as a Spiritual Director and served as a Director of the Dominican Associates for her congregation.
The Encore Institute is designed for those over the age of 55 and programs focus on spirituality and vitality as we age. This programs are held monthly, from 10-11:30am. The suggested donation for each session is $15 (includes lunch when you attend in person). Adults of all ages may attend these classes.
Past Encore Classes Included:
- Finding Joy and Meaning in the Second Half of Life, with Fr. Joachim Lally, CSP
- The Lord Is My Shepherd: Psalms to Accompany Us on Our Journey Through Aging , with Rabbi Albert Lewis
- Holy Spirits!, with Fr. Michael Hennessy, CSP
- Sharing Faith Lessons with Children’s Books, with Glenys Nellist
- Music, Memory and Alzheimer’s Disease, with Emily Smith
- Heaven and the Afterlife, with Sr. Mary Kay Oosdyke, OP
- The Road to What’s Next, with John and Barbara Ziemann
- Adventures in Volunteering, with Angie Drier of RSVP and Kay Fricano of Kids Food Basket
- Church Architecture in Grand Rapids Tour, with Fr. Bob Cary, CSP